Veterans Transportation Guidelines
Timber Trails Public Transit will provide rides to the VA in St. Cloud and Minneapolis for a $10 gas coverage fee.
The Kanabec County Veteran’s Van Schedule is as follows:
- Goes to St. Cloud VA on odd days (1st, 3rd, 5th, etc)
- Goes to Minneapolis VA on even days (2nd, 4th, 6th, etc.)
Appointments need to be scheduled between 9:00 AM and 2:00 PM as the van departs the VA at 3:00 PM (or sooner if everyone is finished with their appointment). Dispatchers will need the following information:
- If you plan to meet the driver in the parking lot. If we pick you up at another location, we’ll need the address and directions. Special Arrangements need to be made for pick-ups at other locations.
- The time and date of your appointment. The dispatchers will verify that your appointment is consistent with our transportation schedule
Kanabec County veterans pay $10 for their rides to either Minneapolis or St. Cloud. The fee is paid to the driver at the time of departure. A veteran’s spouse can ride along if there is room in the van. There is no charge for the spouse. We will take veterans from Pine County if there is room. Veteran riders from Pine County need to get to Kanabec County to meet the van.
Veteran’s Rider Guidelines
It is important that appointments at the VA be scheduled between 9:00 and 2:00 pm. Early morning and late day appointments make very long days for drivers and other veterans and can in some cases be considered dangerous. The van departs from the VA at 3:00 PM (sooner if everyone is done). Call for your reservations as soon as you know you have an appointment. We request a three day notice to schedule rides. We understand that sometimes veterans don’t get that much advance notice and we’ll try to work short notice rides in. When arranging transportation, the dispatchers will need the following information:
- Full Name
- Address and directions
- Phone number – home and cell
- Last four digits of your social security number
- Appointment time(s) and places
Generally, the maximum number of riders per van is five. Veterans must be ambulatory and able to get in and out of the vehicle with minimal assistance. The vans will only transport bagged oxygen for riders. Communicate with the van driver if your provider schedules additional appointments while you are there or if you choose to take a different way home. It is very important to notify the van driver of these types of changes. Please call the dispatchers to schedule rides – drivers are not authorized to set up rides. Unfortunately, we are unable to schedule multiple trips in a day. If a veteran misses the van – we cannot turn it around or send another van. Timber Trails does have a no-show policy. If rides are requested and the rider fails to go – riding privileges may be suspended. We ask all riders to follow the van rules:
- Wear your seat belt.
- No smoking in the van.
- No foul language or off color conversations are allowed.
- No weapons or alcohol.
- Beverages must be in covered containers.
- Collect and remove all personal items and trash as you exit the van.
- The van makes no unscheduled stops for personal reasons, with the exception of medical emergencies.
- Our drivers have the right to refuse transportation if the veteran is under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or if the driver feels threatened in any way.
Finally, please remember that your van driver is a valued volunteer! We ask that you respect and thank our drivers for the time and effort they donate to you and other veterans